The national Community Association Law Seminar is by far the best HOA or condo legal program I attend each year. The year’s Law Seminar, sponsored by the Community Associations Institute (CAI) and the College of Community Association Lawyers (CCAL), is the 38th annual and will be held January 18-21 in Las Vegas, NV.
While the Law Seminar provides about 13-20 hours of CLE and is mostly attended by attorneys, it’s not only for attorneys. Attendees include community association managers, bankers, other industry professionals and even homeowners who want to learn about HOA/condo law changes and trends. For insurance professionals who work with homeowner and condominium associations, there is the concurrent CIRMS Insurance Masters Program that goes beyond the basics of community association insurance to include risk management and legal issues.
Law Seminar Details
The 2017 Community Association Law Seminar will be held in Las Vegas, NV, and begins at noon on Thursday, January 19 and ends at 11 am on Saturday, January 21. An optional half-day seminar on Wednesday, January 17, will involve a panel discussion with a judge, legislator, lobbyist and media specialist on federal and state community association issues.
This year’s program will include the popular case law update and “Panel of Pundits” as well as 20 separate sessions dealing with community association law, including:
- Social media within communities
- Director breach of fiduciary duty claim
- Intellectual property issues in community associations
- Responding to cyber threats
- Firearm use and regulations in associations
- Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) class actions
- Conflicts of interest regarding insurance defense under a reservation of rights
- The impact of marijuana law changes on associations
- Construction defect law changes
- Airbnb, VBRO and short term rentals in associations
More information on this and future Law Seminars, including the schedule, registration information, and continuing education details, visit the Community Associations Institute Events page.