Who Needs to Bring an ID for a Real Estate Closing?

You would be amazed how many people come to closing without a picture ID. A notary public, often the closing attorney, is required to verify the identity of every person listed on a deed, deed of trust, mortgage, title insurance affidavit(s) and/or other document(s) requiring notarization. If you are one of these individuals, please make sure you have at least one form of photo identification with you. This can be a state-issued driver’s license or ID card or U.S. or foreign passport. Sometimes if none of these might be available, alternatives can exist but those would be on a case-by-case basis so we would likely need to discuss this matter with you in advance of signing appointment.

If you have any questions prior to closing about who needs to bring a photo ID or the status of any alternative identification, please contact the paralegal assigned to your file at Law Firm Carolinas.

Real Estate