The City of Greensboro has met with various stakeholders in the community over the last several months to develop a City wide ordinance to address and create rules for short term rentals. There is no current definition for short term rentals in Greensboro, which means that they are currently regulated under the ordinance covering Tourist Homes (i.e. Bed and Breakfasts).
Some of the highlights of the proposed ordinance would be:
- Short term rentals would be allowed only in residential dwellings.
- There would have to be a zoning permit for this type of rental.
- The number of persons allowed in the rental would be regulated.
- There will be regulations regarding gatherings that can be held in the rental.
- Exterior signage would be prohibited.
- A local operator/owner will have to be physically located within 20 miles of the rental and must be on call when the whole home is rented.
The City is asking for your input and has created a Short Term Rental website in order that you can review the full proposed text. Additionally, there will be two virtual zoom sessions on March 17th where you can learn more, ask questions, and provide comments.